ChocolateMoltenCakes
ciderdonuts1
Fall baking
orange striped cupcake papers
packaging
IMG7
fall baking gallery
IMG6
gift wrapping candle
IMG5
baking
tour our
follow our home addition project

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chorizo & Vegetable Cream Soup & Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Grilled Cheese




My most popular post of all time is "The Best Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup."  I get serious traffic from it all year long.  But I've noticed a big upswing in traffic going to that post this past week... it must be soup season!  I decided to revisit my Best Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup recipes and (as the Barefoot Contessa would say) "turn up the volume."

To the soup, I started with spicy chorizo and added carrots, onions and spinach along with canned whole peeled tomatoes to give it a little more nutritional value.  Did I mention the chorizo?




For the sandwich, I stuck with simple and fresh flavors - a fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil.  All grilled together then, just as I do with toasted bread for bruschetta, I rubbed the toasted sandwich with a clove of garlic.  It does all the right things for a really simple and classic sandwich.  When you dip the grilled cheese in the hot soup, the mozzarella melts just a little more, making it gooey and delicious.  


Chorizo & Vegetable Cream Soup | Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Grilled Cheese



1 pound of chorizo sausage
3 carrots, diced
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
1/2 small white onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes, hand crushed with juice
4 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup of cream
4 cups of fresh spinach

fresh mozzarella
tomato, sliced
fresh basil
baguette, sliced
olive oil
1 clove of garlic, whole








Remove the sausage from its casing and break it up into small/medium pieces.  Cook it in a saute pan on a medium/high heat, rendering some of the fat.  Add the carrot, mushrooms and onion and cook until soft, approx 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic.  Cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add the tomatoes by squeezing them in one at a time.  Continue to break them into bite size pieces with the spoon.  Add the juice from the can of tomatoes.



Add the chicken broth and cream.  Add spinach.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.





Slice the baguette, pile with mozzarella, tomato and basil and top with a second piece of bread.  In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Cook sandwiches for 3-4 minutes just until they start to brown.  Flip and repeat.  Rub a raw clove of garlic on the crusty sides of bread.  

10 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect meal for these first few fall nights. - Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG not only does your soup look delish... your photography is beautiful!Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup looks yummy! (I just made the sandwich for lunch last weekend ...simple and delicious!!) You have great recipes! Will definitely give your tomato basil soup a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,
    This looks delicious, I can see why it is a favorite with your readers. My husband loves tomato soup and with the kick the chorizo would add, it will be a new favorite.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made that sandwich! I have not eaten a "grilled cheese" sandwich since I was probably in elementary school! I have never even thought to make it with anything other than american cheese, let alone basil!! It was SOOO delicious! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made both soup and the sandwich and everyone loved it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:20 PM

    Wow! Full of flavor made soup and sandwich on a rainy fall day all I can say is, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup was perfect. My husband and I both loved it and I'm telling everyone on Facebook to make this soup immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chorizo and can't wait to try this beautiful soup!

    ReplyDelete

m38

The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
IMG23
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
my tablet +
m37
IMG36352
m45
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
thanksgiving
fall decor
IMG8
IMG9
fall dinner
chili1
squashdip1
My fall
DIYThanksgivingCenterpiec1
Fall table
pecan1
thanksgiving
shortribs1
Fall dinner Recipe gallry
IMG10
fall entertaining
IMG11
linen Tea Towels &
IMG12
chestnut & fig
IMG13
my favorite fall candles
houseplancabinets1
IMG14
IMG15
Halloween
IMG16
IMG17
fall packaging
IMG18
Orange linen
pumpkin tags
IMG19
batsugarcookies1
bat sugar cookies
IMG20
halloween sprinkles
IMG21
trick or treat tags
IMG22
new!  printable recipes
SHOP
the everyday occasions halloween collection...
ChocolateMoltenCakes everyday new!  printable recipes
Subscribe