spring
tour our
spring copper cookie cutters
creamware
willow vase & candle collection
baking

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chewy Chocolate Toffee Cookies


On my never ending journey to find a cookie that Mike likes better than classic chocolate chip, I came up with this cookie combo - chocolate batter with heath & milk chocolate bits.  Almost like a brownie, the cookies were so chewy and moist.  I love the crunch and added flavor that the toffee bits add.

One of my favorite things to do is to make a batch of cookie dough, then bake about 8 (usually all eaten that night...), then scoop the rest onto a cookie sheet and freeze them.  I keep them in ziplocks in the freezer to get out whenever we're in the mood for fresh baked cookies.  Call me crazy, but it almost seems like they bake better after being frozen?!  Does anyone else experience this?  

Chewy Chocolate
Toffee Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter , softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2  eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 package of Heath milk chocolate toffee bits

Cream together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt.  Add eggs and mix well.

Slowly stir in flour, cocoa and baking soda.  Mix just until well combined.  Scoop dough onto silpat or parchment lined baking sheets.

Freeze, or...

Bake at 375 for 6-8.

If freezing, bake directly from freezer for about 2 minutes longer.




11 comments:

  1. I LOVE eating chocolate chip cookies straight from the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely Jenny! Wouldn't mind one with my coffee right now!
    Yes I agree some things bake brilliantly from frozen, I find scones are much lighter and rise more from frozen.
    Morwenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious...toffee's been a favorite baking ingredient of mine lately. Love the idea of freezing dough for later. Otherwise I wind up grazing on cookies all day for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny..I do the exact same thing. Make a batch of dough, bake about eight and the rest are scooped and frozen. My 92 year old mother loves my cookies. So I make a few at a time and put the rest in the. Freezer. She always has fresh baked cookies to nibble on.

    Love your blog. I plan on cooking my way through your recipes....i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing YOUR expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I need to go with your method of cookie baking -- otherwise, I eat all of the cookies in just a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, i do the same thing. Bake a dozen and then I roll (stick the dough in the fridge for a bit first) the rest of the dough into balls and stick in freezer bags. Then bake them at a later date...that is if the kids dont eat all the chocolate chip cookie dough balls...i know, i know, gross...raw eggs! And yes, the do seem to bake better after frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking about adding cut almonds coated in caramel into this kind of cookies (something like crocant, but less sophisticated), have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! My theory is that the dough has time to rest and all the ingredients really blend together, who knows if that's true or not though.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look delicious! Yesterday I made your parpadelle and beef ragout recipe and it was soooo good! and so easy to prepare too! Thank you.
    I am trying to organise all the recipes that I have collected from different sources, but I can't decide on what is the best way. Do you have any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks sooo divine Jenny! I think I will just have to make these this weekend! Love your new profile picture! Very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these Friday and they were good, but I pulled a couple out of the freezer tonight and they were great! I've never done the freezing thing before with cookies and I thank you for telling me about it. I really loved the flavor and texture out of the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

The Everyday Occasions Store:
JSHMenu1
BlogSideBox1
let's stay in touch

Newsletter:

HomeEntertainingExpertHeader1
m5
pinterest
twitter
instagram
email
rss feed
facebook
IMG9134
my tablet +
IMG8814
spring table settings
lemon meringue cupcakes
IMG6730
IMG8844
linen tea towels for spring
IMG7170
creamware
IMG11
IMG7080
glass spice containers
small baskets for easter gifts
spring
IMG7062
IMG8861
IMG8740
IMG7164
IMG3768
IMG8775
IMG8722
ribbon collection
IMG8760
moss for planted pots
baking
baking pantry organizing
IMG7112
Lemon & fruit layer cake
IMG4492
IMG6949
spring
IMG8718
my favorite spring
IMG5
breakfast
IMG5717
Lilac centerpiece in a bowl
IMG2598
moltencakes03
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
morelchicken03
lemoncake
lemon butter cake
my dinner

everyday home entertaining and ifestyle expert Jenny2014headshot