IMG8 IMG5
linen tea towels & Napkins Petite tart
BRAISED BEEF
chili1 IMG6
butternut & beef chili wood candle holders
m30
appetizers spiced apple
IMG7 chdonuts2
herringbone homemade donuts
butternutrav1
butternut packaging
chocolatecake1
summer entertaining
jute & cotton
IMG9
everyday
IMG10
candle
tour our

Friday, April 19, 2013

Cherry Almond Pound Cake | May Day Gift


 


I made this Cherry Almond Pound Cake as part of a "May Day" Cherry themed Thank You gift for our neighbor.  Pound cakes seem to be my new favorite thing - remember the Lemon Butter Pound Cake I made a couple of weeks ago?  



This flavor combination of Cherry and Almond was inspired by our Spring trip to Washington DC's Cherry Blossom Festival a couple of years ago.  Sprinkles in Georgetown had a Cherry cupcake in honor of the festival.  I came home and immediately made my own version.  I thought the combination would be great with the cherry branches I'd be giving as a gift, but cupcakes are hard to package (and hang on a door...), so I opted for this pound cake instead that is easily wrapped in parchment.  For details on how I packaged the gift, visit this link.


Cherry Almond Pound Cake
makes 1 medium loaf size cake


1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of dried cherries
.......
2 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes.  Add eggs.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  In another separate bowl, combine milk and extract.  Add half of the wet ingredients to the butter sugar mixture, mix for 5 seconds, then add half of the dry and mix for 5 seconds.  Repeat with second half, ending with dry ingredients.  Fold in dried cherries.  Pour batter into loaf pan - I like to line mine with parchment paper.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
For glaze, mix together powdered sugar, milk and almond extract until smooth.  Pour over slightly warm cake.
Again, for details on how I packaged the May Day gift, visit this link.

8 comments:

  1. Love your photos as much as your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jenny,
    I always look forward each day to see & read your blog. :-) I am so very happy to have stumbled upon your blog space since last year and ever since then, I have been completely hooked. :-) It's a great thing! I have to tell you that I have tried many of your recipes from scones for breakfast, your meat dish recipes to your delicious desserts & loved them all. Your inspirational ideas, recipes, holiday tablescapes, home decorating ideas have truly made a a beautiful and a huge difference in my own home, in my own little garden, & in my little kitchen. Thank you. You truly make life sweeter & livelier. I feel I am a more organized mom now & a happier one too. :-)
    Wishing you and your family Easter Season Blessings.
    Many, many thanks and hugs from California
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 12 yr old son is coming back home from Washington DC tonight for a week long History class field trip. (I can't wait to see my baby again and hold him in my arms especially with what's been happening this week in other parts of our nation--very sad, very sad and tragic indeed; my prayerful thoughts & wishes to all the families and the State of Boston.)

    I had an idea to surprise my son this weekend with your Cherry Cupcake or Cherry Pound cake. I am sure it will become another one of our family favorite.

    Have a beautiful weekend with your family & sweet beautiful baby Emma. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes AT HomeI recently bought cherry blossom branches, and they're so beautiful! Yes, a branch or two would make a spectacular May Day gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful recipe! Almond extract is an ingredient we can never get enough of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny!

    Love your blog and recipes! Tried quite a few of your recipes ALL winners, so THANK YOU! Just made the cherry pound cake, delish! Took one to work, a hit there as well :).... Beautiful pics of the cherry blossoms, thanks for sharing

    Sylvia ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny!

    Love your blog and recipes! Just tried the cherry pound cake, DELISH! Took one to work a hit there as well ... Pics of the Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    Sylvia ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I've come over from the Sugar & Charm blog as I couldn't resist the sound of your cherry almond pound cake. Love the look of your blog and I'll definitely be sticking around (and coming back for more :)

    Maria xx
    www.cheekypinktulip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

m38

The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
m21
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
my everyday candles
m39
"homemade"
IMG11
IMG12
m41
breakfast
m43
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
cinrolls1
apple & cranberry crisp
cranapplecrisp1
IMG13
IMG14
beefstew1
IMG15
m36 m11 IMG3619 everyday
Subscribe