ChocolateMoltenCakes
ciderdonuts1
Fall baking
orange striped cupcake papers
packaging
IMG7
fall baking gallery
IMG6
gift wrapping candle
IMG5
baking
tour our
follow our home addition project

Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade Baked Cider Donuts


It is only right that I follow our Fall Fun post with a Cider Donut recipe... as that is exactly how each of our fall field trips seem to end up, too - with fingers covered in cinnamon and sugar.



Saturday, as we were enjoying some fresh donuts on the car ride home, Mike asked me - what makes them cider donuts?  Is there actually cider in them?  I had no idea. 

After a little googling I discovered that, in fact, they do.  The cider gives them an acid bite and makes them extra moist.  The recipes I found online recommended making them with a condensed cider made simply by boiling the cider for 15 minutes to concentrate the flavor.



As it is officially October, we spent another weekend farm and orchard hoping.  Our "field trip" this time was to a real pumpkin patch.  This was the first time in 25 years that I've actually picked pumpkins from a field.  I know - I can hardly believe it myself.  It was so much more fun than picking them out at the market.  Emma picked her very own pumpkins - all just her size.


Emma had the best time.  Each time she found one, she would say... "Look, there's one! There's a punkin'!"  We have all of her pint size pumpkins lined up on our front steps. 
 

Last weekend's donut stop was not the best, but this weekend, oh my.  Oh my.  I bought a dozen and they were gone by Sunday morning at 8 am... leaving us craving more by the afternoon.

I created my own version (using the Barefoot Contessa's baked donuts as a starting place - remember, I featured them back in January?), but added the condensed cider in place of part of the milk, left out the nutmeg (not a huge fan) and changed the leavening a bit.  Ina's recipe says to bake them for 17 minutes, but I find that only about 10-12 works best for me.  Has anyone else found the same?

baked
Cider Donuts


New! Printable Recipes, here.

1 1/2 cup of apple cider
......
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
.........
4 tablespoons butter1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees with the donut pan in the oven.

Begin by condensing the cider - boil 1 1/2 cup for 15 minutes until it has reduced.


Pour the cider into a measuring cup, then add butter, milk, vanilla and egg.  Stir to combine.


Combine all of the dry ingredients, then stir in wet cider mixture.


It should be about the consistency of waffle batter.

Remove the donut pan from the pre-heated oven, then spray or butter the donut pan.  Then spoon in mixture 3/4 of the way up the pan.


Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set.  *Note, Ina recommends baking for 17 minutes - so, if they look like they need more time, you can bake them for longer.  However, 10-12 minutes left mine moist and yummy.





Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.

Remove from pan, and one at a time brush with melted butter, then coat donut with cinnamon sugar.

Serve warm, if possible.

Also, serve with hot apple cider, if possible.




Cider donuts have become a weekend morning tradition for us - I'm so glad we can make our own version at home.  Now I'm wondering... cider pancakes?  cider waffles?  cider scones with a maple glaze?!

What are you favorite fall weekend morning traditions? 

21 comments:

  1. I found out at a cider doughnut booth at a festival this weekend that some cider doughnuts are actually made with 7up. Wierd I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh delightful! this is like a scratch and sniff page of cider loveliness.

    http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-little-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to give these a try!! I just saw a recipe on Food 52 (have you seen that website yet?!!) that looked realty amazing but they weren't baked and I loathe frying doughnuts. Yours will be breakfast this weekend! I've never had a cider doughnut but I've been dreaming about them ever since I saw another blog friend post them last year. Happy October! xo, Tessa
    ps. we went pumpkin picking last Friday - so much more fun to pick from a field, I agree!! even though the fresh stems are a bit prickly for little hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - luckily, Emma only pulled on the actual pumpkin and we would break the stem for her. I haven't looked at Food 52 - I'll be sure to stop by! Thanks for sending the boxwood resources... love them!!!

      Jenny

      Delete
  4. Katie6:07 PM

    So excited to try these! My husband and I are BIG fans of cider donuts whether they are from farm stands, pumpkin patches, or a little shop on Block Island where we go most summers. Now, I'm so excited to surprise him with a batch of freshly made baked ones in our own home this weekend! So thank you!

    Quick question - how do you prepare your hot apple cider? I am nearly obsessed with a company called Aspen Taste and their "Original Spice Blend" that I stir into cider heating in a crockpot. But I'm always curious to learn about other people's recipes for hot apple cider. How do you make yours? Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with the Aspen Taste! It really is good. My favorite is from local mills - all I do is heat it up. If it is not in season, or I want to add extra goodness, I put some orange peel in with it - love the combo.

      Jenny

      Delete
  5. Lindsey O7:46 PM

    I ran out after work to get the ingredients to make these! Am I supposed to use 1 1/4 cups of cider and then reduce it, or 1 1/2 cups? Thanks! I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Just fixed this - cook the 1 1/2 cups down, you should end up with about 1/2 cup of the reduced mixture to use.

      Jenny

      Delete
    2. Lindsey O7:59 AM

      Thank you so much! I was so anxious to make these that I just went for it. I decided to go for the 1 1/2 cups to be safe. I only had whole wheat flour though, and they turned out a little heavy, but still really good. My husband and I ate way too many last night. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Good grief. First my sister makes pumpkin spice doughnuts and then I come across your apple cider doughnuts!!! I'm going to have to make something too. These look DELISH and I just bought some apple cider yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you buy your doughnut pans? I need to find some. Just curious about your source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine at Sur La Table around christmas time. It was very inexpensive - maybe $10.

      Jenny

      Delete
  8. Jenny,
    I haven't heard of cider donuts before, but these look delicious. I just watched the episode (recorded) of Ina's doughnut baking.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will make these !!! Where did you get the beautiful glasses ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look just wonderful...and Emma is sooooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicki2:03 PM

    Hey Jenny,
    Didn't know how else to contact you...what size are the linen napkins on your store site?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love fried cider donuts, but I don't love all the work involved; I will definitely try this recipe next time I need a quick fix! Linked to your recipe in my post on cider donuts the easier way... http://slowmama.com/fooddrink/cider-donuts-the-easy-way/

    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was looking for more Halloween Recipes and found your blog site. I hope it’s fine with you if I could pin some of these photos on my Pinterest boards. Thank you and keep sharing :D They look yummy than scary btw! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made these last weekend and they were a huge hit! Making them again this weekend, too. I also wanted to let you know that I loved everything that I ordered from your on line shop - including the packaging. I hope it continues to be successful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. not to be rude but i really dont like the recipe section the link takes you to pinterest is there a list of recipes instad ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could you use reduced apple juice if you don't have the cider?

    ReplyDelete

m38

The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
IMG23
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
my tablet +
m37
IMG36352
m45
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
thanksgiving
fall decor
IMG8
IMG9
fall dinner
chili1
squashdip1
My fall
DIYThanksgivingCenterpiec1
Fall table
pecan1
thanksgiving
shortribs1
Fall dinner Recipe gallry
IMG10
fall entertaining
IMG11
linen Tea Towels &
IMG12
chestnut & fig
IMG13
my favorite fall candles
houseplancabinets1
IMG14
IMG15
Halloween
IMG16
IMG17
fall packaging
IMG18
Orange linen
pumpkin tags
IMG19
batsugarcookies1
bat sugar cookies
IMG20
halloween sprinkles
IMG21
trick or treat tags
IMG22
new!  printable recipes
SHOP
the everyday occasions halloween collection...
ChocolateMoltenCakes everyday new!  printable recipes
Subscribe