ChocolateMoltenCakes
ciderdonuts1
Fall baking
orange striped cupcake papers
packaging
IMG7
fall baking gallery
IMG6
gift wrapping candle
IMG5
baking
tour our
follow our home addition project

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Decorating Blue Bird Sugar Cookies

 


How to Decorate 
Baby Bird Sugar Cookies

These birds might be my absolute favorite sugar cookie.  I've used them for every occasion - baby showers, wedding showers, Easter, Christmas, birthday parties and  Valentine's Day.  I originally shared this baby bird with you in 2010 for my sister's baby shower (warning: old photos!!) and then in 2011 (and reposted in 2012) for Valentine's Day.  I just love how the robin's egg blue bird looks with pink hearts - a very fun and cheery combination.  

Here is my sweet Emma helping me roll out the cookies.  I decorated the birds during her nap time - I like doing projects like this during her naps, I find it to be very relaxing, and much more rewarding than folding laundry.

These bird cookies might look complex, but they are very easy to make by just following a couple of steps - it is just about filling in simple shapes.
  

Below, I've outlined the steps for creating the bird at home.  I love using clear Fine Sanding Sugar to accent the wing with a little sparkle - any color of icing shows through.  Here are some of the supplies found in my store that you might find helpful : 
 


Packaging Supplies : 

Packaging options are endless, but my favorite way to display these is in a Kraft Cookie box - it really makes them look like a very special gift.





Begin with sugar cookies that have cooled - I use my favorite Sugar Cookie & Royal Icing recipe, found here, that is also included with the cookie cutter.


Begin with white Royal Icing and make the breast of the bird.


Next, use the blue icing and pipe an outline of the entire body.


Fill in with icing, then spread and smooth with the tip of a bamboo skewer or toothpick.


Let harden for 30 minutes to an hour before the next step.


When the body icing has hardened, pipe a wing on the bird and immediately... 


Sprinkle a generous amount of Fine Sanding Sugar over the wet icing wing.


Gently shake off excess.


Sparkling Wing!


To finish, add details like an eye, beak and feet.

Here are some of the other versions I've made throughout the years...


Here are the Easter Cookies from last year - still love these and all of those fun eggs!
 
I made these for Jill's Baby Shower four years ago - it was a January shower, so did snow birds in creams and greys.


Here is the easy-to-pin strip!

10 comments:

  1. They look great! Thanks for the tutorial. Adore all the new pink goodness in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little bluebirds are adorable!!!!!!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. These make a lovely present,\.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I have admired your sweet bird for years and I am so excited for my own copper birdie cutter (and other goodies!) to arrive! Your icing is always colored perfectly! I use the gels from Williams Sonoma and my icing is always so vibrant. What's your secret??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell us the color ratios you used to get that beautiful blue icing? I've ordered my bird cookie cutter and I can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma is so sweet in her pink gingham apron. The bluebirds are sweet, too. We love sugar cookies at our house. Especially, Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blue color too. What brand of coloring do you use and what color ? Cute cookies and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful. I love seeing the difference in your photos, you have come so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial ! I've admired your cookie decorationg for a while now. My decorated cookies looks like a 4 year old's (no offense to any 4 yr olds). I have a few heart coookies that still need decorating - will give them another try! I do believe that patience is still the key here.

    ReplyDelete

m38

The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
IMG23
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
my tablet +
m37
IMG36352
m45
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
thanksgiving
fall decor
IMG8
IMG9
fall dinner
chili1
squashdip1
My fall
DIYThanksgivingCenterpiec1
Fall table
pecan1
thanksgiving
shortribs1
Fall dinner Recipe gallry
IMG10
fall entertaining
IMG11
linen Tea Towels &
IMG12
chestnut & fig
IMG13
my favorite fall candles
houseplancabinets1
IMG14
IMG15
Halloween
IMG16
IMG17
fall packaging
IMG18
Orange linen
pumpkin tags
IMG19
batsugarcookies1
bat sugar cookies
IMG20
halloween sprinkles
IMG21
trick or treat tags
IMG22
new!  printable recipes
SHOP
the everyday occasions halloween collection...
ChocolateMoltenCakes everyday new!  printable recipes
Subscribe