CinnamonRolls
New!  Printable Recipes
IMG7242 IMG6259
gingerbred cookies
holiday copper cookie cutters
IMG3445
IMG5
gift wrap collection
candle
IMG6032
Free Shipping with Gift Cards!
ribbon collection
IMG6775
stocking
festive tissue paper
IMG6743
linens & throws
linen tea towel
IMG6401
baking packaging
IMG7134
chocolate cinnamon rolls gift
candlecolorsphoto1
candle
tour our

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Interior Design Board | Our New Addition



Are you a little surprised about my design board a little?  I am.  In the last couple of years I've really warmed up to warm colors.  Last year I went on a holiday homes tour and toured a home that was just everything I love... even though it was a little different than what I thought I loved.  It just felt so right and was unlike any home I'd been in before.  It has really influenced me in the interior design of this home.  With that being said, I am also trying to stick with my roots, too - a very comfortable, cozy home that feels a little like a country farmhouse/cottage.  Did I just make a zillion contradictions?  Hopefully you're on the same page as me.



We've talked a lot about the kitchen for the new addition and the layout of the floor plan, but I haven't done too much writing about the interior design.  The plans have been approved and now we're just in the logistical stages of getting ready for construction... which means we are starting to make real decisions about finishes and ordering fixtures.  It can be overwhelming to do, but I think selecting furniture, rugs, artwork, appliances and fixtures before anything begins will save us a lot of trouble down the road.

So, I've tried to think about everything we are planning to put in our house, where it will go and will we have room for it.  That doesn't mean we'll purchase everything immediately (like the hand-knotted oriental rugs or antique chest...), but when it comes time, we'll have the space for it and (hopefully) it will fit into our plan. 


I would like the home to be completely neutral (cream walls and upholstery), with accents of rich and muted colors in rugs and artwork. All of the walls will be painted a creamy white like this photo (except bedrooms).  We're hoping there will be room in our budget to add some paneling accents that will be painted, too.  It is something we can do later, so if we're running over budget during construction, we might save it for another year.

I'm also embracing traditional rugs that contain reds, burnt oranges and deep navy blues.  Of course, I still like muted pale blue landscapes and seascapes in gilt frames (like the one Mike painted for me).   I've also discovered that I really like contrast, so instead of my typical in-between tones, I'm going for creamy walls and black accents... even debating soapstone counters. 



I love the traditional, easy, and season-less look of this house.  I want to make sure our wood floors are stained a similar warm walnut/chestnut color.



For the floor coverings, we'll have wood throughout the main areas, but use slate tiles in the mudroom.  I'll be adding a natural color runner up the stairs, in the new bedrooms and using similar throw rugs for accents in high traffic areas.


For light fixtures and door hardware, I like all un-lacquered brass that has a soft, antique finish.  I am still planning to use my favorite lanterns (above in my own dining room) from Cape Cod Lighting Co. everywhere I can.  I'm picturing them above the kitchen island, dining table, foyer and even one above our soaking tub in the bathroom. 



I also want to make sure we incorporate some creative details, like this vanity.  Would love this for the downstairs powder room.

What do you think?  I'd love to hear your thoughts about the soapstone vs. the marble or wood tops.  Thanks for all of your help!

 

16 comments:

  1. I feel like my taste has gone through a similar evolution. There is something so authentic and settled about warm tones, some black with rich wood tones with a white/clean backdrop. Love the first pic. Who wouldn't feel perfectly at home there! and it's beautiful of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have soapstone in our kitchen and love it! I would definitely recommend it. All of your choices are so timeless. I can't wait to see your inspiration board come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your plan and it looks like you are on your way to achieving the feel you want for your home. Just beautiful!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,
    I love the direction you're headed. I don't know whether you've ever visited Joan over at for the love of a house. She has soapstone counters in her kitchen and she had some great facts on the material if you're interested. http://fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com/2014/03/soapstone.html
    I look forward to seeing your home as it progresses, I've always liked every room you've shared with us.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny- I just finished my kitchen renovation, a complete gut. I now have white, shaker style cabinets and honed granite counters that look like soapstone. It is called Via Lactea. I LOVE it. I had to wait 6 weeks to get it shipped but my supplier was able to find it. I love your idea board. My house has warm colors too. I bought a similar bridge faucet by Rohl. Can't wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny-
    I love the "warmth" and the direction you are headed. Joan's home at "For the love of a house" has that feeling. I see Karen directed you there too.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny,
    If this is your finished home so far, I love everything you have done! It feels light and open, warm, welcoming, comfortable and tasteful! Great use of color and materials, just bright enough against the white.
    No answer to your question on preference - clearly you have great taste and whatever you choose will look great and flow well with the space1

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have that couch and we Love it. It's classic and timeless but also Super comfortable. What color do you plan to do in the bedrooms with all of the creamy white in the living spaces?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did granite on our recent kitchen remodel but I dream about soapstone if/when we remodel again. (Don't tell my husband I'm already thinking of our next remodel, please. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot recommend soapstone enough! We have had our counters for three years now and are thrilled with the choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Missi, I have Via Lactea granite and absolutely LOVE it! I love that added pop of sparkle that granite adds vs. soapstone...love the gleam and clean (meaning literally "clean") look of it!

    I have carrara marble in the master bath and love that too. I'd be a bit nervous of using it in a kitchen or any place where kids may slam something on it, since it will sort of fragment if ill treated.

    In a previous home, we topped an antique mahogany vanity with a piece of quartz (similar to the last photo you posted, but truly a countertop with under mount sink). LOVED that too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this will lead to me the right direction, it will help me a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just check it out here to find some Home Improvement Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  14. What color white have you decided on Jenny? I am in a paint dilemma! Love your boards!

    ReplyDelete

m38
The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
m21
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
reindeer cookies
m37
IMG4146
m60
breakfast
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
IMG6817
IMG6270
IMG4235
IMG6330
IMG6952
ribbon
IMG6
CinnamonRolls m36 m11 IMG4080 everyday
Subscribe